Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Take #5

Another failed cycle. The emotions are overwhelming. I've, for the most part, been pulling back from everyone because I just don't want to feel what I am feeling. Jason gets to see the full range of emotions and it is probably not fair to him for me to be closing myself off from my friends and family.  It feels like he is the only one that really understands because he is going through it too (although logically I know that many people can relate even if they have never been though this themselves). At the same time, I just want to go home. I want to go back to the way things were. I want to see my friends, go for bike rides, go to book club, have dinner with the family. I want to have my job back and have a purpose. I want to walk Willie Nelson and have him snuggle with me on the couch. We came here saying - well, if it doesn't work , then at least we'll have an amazing experience. That has been true. We have had an amazing experience but currently my will to go explore has been less and less. I just want to go home.

Despite wanting to go home, I want more to have a baby. So I am taking control of what I can in my life. Here are a few ways I feel like I can. I have a few autoimmune issues and I am wondering if that might be one of the reasons that I haven't gotten pregnant. Autoimmune issues are complex and I'm not even going to pretend to understand how it all works but there is some suggestion that diet plays into autoimmune disease - and that I can control. I found a great website that explains the Auto Immune Protocol. The following explanation is from her website. It is basically paleo eating so no grains, no legumes, no dairy, no refined sugars, no modern vegetable oils, no processed food chemicals. A few other important factors are avoiding excessive salt, refined sugars, too many carbohydrates (but this doesn’t need to be a low carb diet!) and also trying to balance omega-3 vs. omega-6 fatty acid intake. But in addition, for the autoimmune protocol, I will completely avoid:

Eggs (especially the whites)
Nuts
Seeds (including cocoa, coffee and seed-based spices)
Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, sweet and hot peppers, cayenne, red pepper, tomatillos, goji berries etc. and spices derived from peppers, including paprika)
Potential Gluten Cross-Reactive Foods
Fructose consumption in excess of 20g per day
Alcohol
NSAIDS (like aspirin or ibuprofen)
Non-nutritive sweeteners (yes, all of them, even stevia)
Emulsifiers, thickeners, and other food additives

Now I am sure that many of you are thinking this is a bunch of BS but I don't really care. It makes me feel like I am DOING something. And maybe, just maybe, it will help. In addition, I asked my doctor about having my Natural Killer cells (NK cells) tested to see if they are elevated. If they are then it is possible that my body is attacking the embryo -which would prevent implantation. I am not sure how to override this (if that is what is happening) but as it is related to autoimmune issues hopefully the change in diet will help the issue.

If you have any recipes to send me please do!! I am sure that I will get so bored eating this way. The hardest part will be the nightshades. I LOVE tomatoes and spicy peppers and not having those is going to suck. That and no more chocolate croissants. Boohoo.

So what else do people do when they feel like they have no control in their lives..... they cut their hair!! I haven't done it yet but I am planning to in the next week. I am thinking shoulder length hair and maybe some side bangs or something? Any thoughts? Send pics!! Seriously. I am doing it soon.

Ok, so the other way in which we are taking control is by lining up a donor for eggs. The one donor blastocyst that we currently have frozen was from a donor oocyte that was thawed and fertilized with Jason's sperm. This is not usually how it is done. Normally, they find a donor that matches the selected criteria (blood type, height, weight, ect.) and then she goes on the stimulation medications. All of the mature eggs retrieved from her are then fertilized with Jason's sperm and from there the process is the same (and usually there are a lot more to freeze for future cycles). I imagine that will happen for the following cycle. For this cycle, we will thaw one of the eggs I produced and the one from the donor. (We ended up having 2 eggs I produced frozen as an additional egg caught up and was good enough to freeze (yay)) If those both survive the thawing process we'll go with those two, if not then we will thaw the third one that I produced and hopefully transfer that one.

So that is the update. I am so thankful for all the messages, emails, and FaceTime calls we've received. I have been a bad friend and sister and am going to make an effort to reach out more. It is difficult because I want to reach out and I think I might explode all at the same time.


This is a picture of a dog at a shop in Rome. It makes me happy.

xo - katherine

17 comments:

  1. There are some promising studies on thwarting elevated NK cells with low doses of oral steroids. I know that you are struggling right now. Be kind to yourself. We struggled with repeated pregnancy loss, and it's different, but similar. Everything related to fertility issues is so heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat- Please be kind to yourself. I can't imagine the emotional rolls coaster that you are currently riding. I do know that there are certain foods/smoothies that help with preparing your body for conceiving. Just google them. Also, I am a huge fan and believe yoga is a great way to cleanse and renew the cells in the body. And I have had a few friends swear by yoga for getting pregnant. Also, you will look great in your new hair cut!!!
    All my love!
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you so much! Thank you for your transparency in sharing your journey! Keeping you in my prayers always. Reading about the hair cut made me think of the pictures (seems like there were 1 or 2) you had in your room at one time with the different hair styles digitally put onto your face :-) You will look beautiful whatever hair cut you choose but bangs are a good option. 3 out of 4 Sams girls now have them right now hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I went to see Marty and he had some program to put my face of different hairstyles... Although, that was before I knew my hair was curly. And I have been wanting bangs again... Might as well make it 4 out of 4 Sams girls! Love you too. XOXO

      Delete
  4. That dog is all,"Hey, girl, hey." But in Italian.

    I'm sorry things haven't worked out so far. Don't lose heart and take care of yourself. You randomly pop in my head some days and I say a quick prayer that you're time comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thoughtful. Thank you so much Rachel!!

      Delete
    2. your time, not you're time. gah

      I know English good.

      Delete
  5. hey. cut it all off - you inspired me. it's hair - it will grow back. love you to the moon and back and jason too (of course). love your body and yourself - we love you two so much. i am glad you are doing what you need to do - keep strong my dear friend. btw - the 735 chipeta household miss you all a ton (or possibly more).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Val! I have an appointment Tuesday. I think I'll go shoulder length for now :-) xo

      Delete
  6. Someone smarter than me once said " A certain amount of darkness is needed to see the stars". I'm so sorry your journey hasn't been as brightly lit as we wished. I hope that you can see the light though, because it's always there.
    And you can try to hide. But we will find you. It would be way easier if you hid in Bend though. So when you are done there you are welcome and wanted here.
    Xoxoxoxoxo
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you always for your thoughtful and perfectly timed words. And thanks for the FaceTime today. Xo

    ReplyDelete