Monday, December 28, 2015

The wonderful, the difficult and the plan.



What a whirlwind the last few weeks have been! We arrived back in Colorado on December 12th and decided it was a good idea to move into our new house on December 13 - the one we bought and closed on while we were in Prague. We had an outpouring of love from our friends and family. They showed up with 7 trucks and 4 trailers and moved us from our storage units into our house in about 4 hours. Not to mention that my entire kitchen was unpacked and put away in that process. Jason's family stocked our kitchen so we were able to start cooking at home right away. It was such a thoughtful and really really wonderful gift. This is the exact reason we returned to GJ - not because we have friends and family that do things for us but because we have friends and family who love us and want to help us despite having busy lives of their own. This has been a wonderful but also difficult transition back. 


The wonderful: First and foremost, WILLIE NELSON!! So happy to be reunited. Now for the rest of the wonderfulness... Jason was hired on at St. Mary's and started on December 21. This was a big day for us as Jason has been working up to a new career for some time and it finally became a reality! Go Jason!! Due to the holidays, he gets a soft start which is helpful in transitioning back into work. I interviewed with the VA hospital for a Time and Leave Clerk position on December 21 and was offered the job that day. Go me! While this position is not my dream job, it does have some dreamy qualities - health benefits and the unrestricted use of the label maker. It is another federal position for me so I will have all of my sick leave restored as well as similar pay despite it being at a lower grade. I don't start for a few weeks which is helpful in getting fully unpacked. We spent the holidays in Montrose and were able to see most of Jason's immediate family. We ate amazing food, played cards, loved on each other and of course played non-stop with the nieces and nephews. Love love love those kiddos. And we saw Star Wars!





The difficult: I have such conflicting feelings and it is hard to manage them at times. Yes, I am excited to be home and have an awesome new house (despite having to sink a chunk of change into the water pipes). Yes, I am thrilled to see family and friends. But here is the hard part... the guest bedroom was suppose to be a baby room. This Christmas I was suppose to give Jason baby related gifts and vice versa. Seeing friends was suppose to be filled with heart-felt congratulations instead of not knowing what to say so nothing is said. I am happy to see friends and I want to bust out crying. I feel selfish for talking about what I am feeling. What do I do in this situation? I don't want to make people uncomfortable by talking about my heartache and people don't talk about what has happened - but why? I have been so open with everything but I have to realize that people just don't know what to say or don't want to bring it up for fear of causing more pain or it is a topic they just are not comfortable discussing. I understand that it is an uncomfortable topic but a simple acknowledgement goes a long way. On the flip side, I have had many women reach out to me and share their heartache. Women I hardly know offering words of encouragement and understanding  and just because I am an open book doesn't mean that I can expect everyone else to be. I am still feeling all the feelings about my miscarriage and infertility and if someone brings it up and I start crying it is another step on my journey to heal. So don't worry that you are causing more heartache - you aren't. You are helping me to be heard and feel what I need to feel so I can heal. No one should read this and feel obligated to say anything or bad if they haven't - I just want to share my feelings so I can try and heal.

The plan: We do have a plan. The clinic in Prague is looking for an egg donor match. She will take all of the medications and her eggs will be retrieved and fertilized with Jason's sperm that they have frozen at the clinic. After testing them, I will return for about a week and a half to Prague for a FET (frozen embryo transfer) sometime hopefully in late February early March depending on when my periods return to normal after the miscarriage. I now know I can get pregnant so now we just need to find the one that will stick. 

xo -katherine

7 comments:

  1. Virtual hugs and for real prayers for you!

    Cute house! Cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel!! (And the house is SO cute on the inside... the outside doesn't do it justice!)

      Delete
  2. Oh darling. Heartfelt congratulations and sympathy heartbreak for you both. If you ever need to talk I'm here. I would like to say I'll just listen, but I never manage to stay quiet for too long.
    Be well.
    Xoxo E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Elaine, how I wish y'all could have been here over the holidays. XO

      Delete
  3. Katherine, I hope you don't mind that i've been following your blog but my situation was quite similar to yours 13 years ago. Just like you, i felt driven to carry a baby and I'm the proud mamma of a 12 year old donor egg boy named Liam. He's my sweet dream. I think I understand what drives you despite all the sadness and disappointments. In the end you will get there and it will all be worth it. I still love to tell Liam that his first babysitter was an embryologist. If you ever want to have a coffee or just talk my number is 201-3945. Good luck with the transfer. Love, Ellen Price

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I would love to get together and chat. I warn you, I might bust out crying. But I would love to hear your experience and connect with someone who has gone through this before.

      Delete
  4. Katherine, I just now checked this. I'm sorry i haven't checked it until now. I'm at a parayoga 4 desires conference but if you want to go have coffee or beer sometime let me know. my email is price.ew@gmail.com. I don't mind the crying

    ReplyDelete