Thursday, October 13, 2016

25 weeks!!!

"I know! Let’s talk about pre-term labour. Fun or what? Now don’t pretend you haven’t googled the shit out of how far along you have to be before your baby is viable. The good news is that it’s around now.

That said, it’s best if the little weeble stays in there and cooks a little longer so if you experience some of these symptoms, it could mean that the party is getting started early and you should get in touch with your health care provider or shuffle yourself to a hospital.

Here’s what to watch for:
  • Cramping that is similar to what you’d experience during your period
  • Contractions that happen every 10 minutes or more (even if they aren’t painful)
  • Low, dull or rhythmic backache
  • Pressure in your pelvis like your baby is pushing down
  • Any vaginal spotting or bleeding
  • More vaginal discharge than usual or any change in it like it’s watery or bloody (I know, this is a slightly embarrassing symptom to call up with, so just say you think you may be leaking amniotic fluid and they’ll take it from there. Plus, there is nothing they haven’t heard so there’s no point in being shy.)
The hard part is that back pain and cramping are often a part of pregnancy as a whole, so it’s not easy to distinguish between that and pre-term labour. The reason you should watch for it is because they can give you drugs to slow down your labour and other drugs reduce any complications your baby may have.

I know it’s a tricky road, I’ve been there. “Is that something?” “Was that normal?” “Should I call someone?” and I was always in fear of looking like an over anxious new mother or inconveniencing someone, but it really is no big deal to check it out when you weigh looking stupid against your baby having an extra day to develop its lungs so it’s got a better shot in the world.

Hey, there will be 9 billion
things you’re going to look stupid for when you’re a mom – consider it practice." - Pregnant Chicken



Size/Info: She is about 13.5 inches long and about 1.6 lbs. Her lungs are continuing to mature to ready her for her first breath. Her nostrils have been plugged up until this point and now they are starting to open and allow her to "practice breathing" - she is inhaling amniotic fluid. If she has hair, then the color and texture can be seen at this point, although they still may change. She is getting fatter and losing some of the wrinkly appearance. Her startle reflexes are developing - maybe that is why she was moving so much at the movie on Tuesday!


What is new this week? Can I just point out that yes I am 25 weeks, but that means that I have only 15 weeks left... holy cow!! I had an appointment with my midwife. She listened to the little one's heartbeat and measured my fundal height - I measure right on for 25 weeks. I had a few questions that I had been saving up so I got those answered. One of the biggest questions I had was about Braxton Hicks - I had my first few and they are really weird. My abdomen gets really hard and it totally freaks me out! But she said they are normal and to drink more water... how am I ever going to drink more water!!???!?! I need a catheter. I have also been completely crashing after going on hikes and she said  I may need more electrolytes and food before hand as well as to maybe stay on flatter ground... My acid reflux has been HORRIBLE so she gave me a few tips but one I hadn't tried was not drinking fluids with meals - so far this one seems to be making a big difference. Yay!

Friday was my birthday and Jason surprised me with sweet gifts (the donuts being my favorite part!) and an orchid. Then, Jason's sister, Kim and his mom, Jeannie came down and took me out to lunch. It made me feel really special to have them come and see me. We went out to dinner with a few friends and ate so.much.food. On Saturday, Jason ad I went to a Birth Expo - it was pretty neat and I got a short little massage out of it... so wonderful! There are some great resources out there that I had no idea about!

Symptoms: Braxton Hicks are new and I don't like them. Also, I have been slightly dizzy - constantly. I guess that the uterus can be putting pressure on vessels causing this, as well as additional fluid in the body throwing off the inner ear. No fun.


Food Aversions: Jason keeps wanting to cook Mexican food and I just have no interest - weird for me.


Food Cravings: All the sugar. Although after this past weekend, I was oversaturated and wanted green things.


Fitness: Guess who has been doing prenatal yoga... yay me!! The real reason I am doing it is because my back is absolutely killing me and I need to not be in pain. I've been doing it every morning for the last 5 days and it seems to actually be helping my back (that and the pillow fortress I have around my body at night supporting me and the babe and the chiropractor). Still hiking and walking. I'd really like to get back in the pool.


Bump: For some reason, I have had a lot of compliments at work this week where people tell me how cute I look. If you see any pregnant woman, tell her she looks wonderful because it is really nice to hear. For some reason, more so from strangers.
                                              
Willie Nelson looking all cute in the background!



Medications:
7:30am: 10mg prednisone, 40mg Lovonox injection in the belly
9am: 1 Prenatal and 2 DHA
7:30pm: 40mg Lovonox injection in the belly

Baby Preparations: Jason and I finished painting the dresser but after buting new drawer pulls, I discovered that there are 2 different size drawer pull on this dresser - so now I am on the hunt for matching but different sized drawer pulls. Jason has been painting the Glider chair this week and might be just about done! I guess I need to start on re-covering the cushions and this weekend will be a prefect time to do so as Jason works! We will start our doula pre-natal visits in the next few weeks and once I finally pay her, I will get the first few hypnobabies track to start listening to. So exciting. I have also been playing music at night for our gal. I am a sucker for piano music so I have been playing her Ludovico Einaudi. Here is one of my favorite songs - it reaches into my being and makes me feel every emotion all at once:

No comments:

Post a Comment