Thursday, September 15, 2016

21 Weeks!

21 Weeks! Woot!


"Your baby is a whopping three-quarters of a pound (or 360 grams) and is about 101/2  inches long which is about the size of the worlds largest gummy bear, although, it’s a lot heavier at 5 pounds – I still like the reference better than a banana.

You’re probably familiar with what kicking feels like now and may wonder what all the partying is about in there. That kid has a good amount of room and some legs, so the or she tends to take ‘em out for a spin quite a bit. If they are high kicking your vital organs, try to shift them around by either manually moving them with your hands on your belly, or shift around yourself to get the karate kid in a better position.

As for you, well, you may still be in that golden age of pregnancy when you aren’t too pukey and you aren’t too big. You’re the size that all the maternity stores feature in their ads to show how cute pregnant women are – you aren’t puffy and hunched over a toilet, and you aren’t in danger of being harpooned if you wade into the ocean wearing a black and white bathing suit.

That said, you may feel like shit and for that I am sorry. Some woman have a fantastic pregnancy and will never feel or look better, where others have a miserable, greasy, gassy paraded-float experience. Just keep in mind that, good or bad, nothing lasts for ever, so either enjoy it or hang in there. This too shall pass." -
Pregnant Chicken


Size/Info: Head to toe she measures around 10.5 inches and weights around 12.7 ounces. She is the size of a pomegranate, Chipotle burrito, baby bok choy, large carrot, baseball hat or a least weasel! Her eyebrows are starting to grow in and her lips are becoming more distinct. She still has plenty of room in my uterus for all the twisting, turning and kick boxing she wants (and she sure is a mover!) Her arms and legs are finally in proportion and neurons are now connected between the brain and muscles - which means she has more control over her movements. She is also tasting more of what I eat so I hope she likes spicy food! Studies show that what I eat now will influence her likes after
                                                               birth... I guess she is going to LOVE ice cream!


What is new this week? I had an appointment with my Midwife on Tuesday. She listened to the baby's heartbeat and said she sounds great! She kicked her as soon as she put the Doppler probe on my belly. Janet also said that my weight gain is right on target and that any extra fat is great for milk stores. So maybe I'll be a superstar milk producer! My dad did tell me that I had hips for child bearing... lucky me to have a replica of my mothers body - seriously, to a T. My boss asked me if my legs were swollen and I told her they just looked like that all the time - her face might have flushed at my response. I actually feel like I look good. I am really enjoying being pregnant and having this belly! More people at work are starting ask if I have news to share. I totally enjoy the attention. I am really feeling good despite the continued symptoms but know that this is the 2nd trimester honeymoon period. Our girl is really a mover and I absolutely love feeling her move around. As of now it isn't uncomfortable or painful in any way (well except for last week when she was scrunched over to the right side and putting pressure on a nerve or something, ouch!) Jason really felt her kick this week which I was really happy about. It seems as soon as I put his hand on my belly she calms down - might be good to remember that in the future when I want her to calm down!!


This past weekend was Jason's big race - Imogene Pass Run. The race starts in Ouray, Colorado at just under 8000 ft and over the course of 10 miles the elevation increases to over 13,000 ft. It then descends 7 miles into Telluride at around 9000 ft. The race is brutal and 95% is on dirt trail with the descent being quite rocky. There were over 1500 people running the race (Lance Armstrong was registered but dropped out due to an injury) and Jason finished in 142nd place. Basically, he kicked ass. His time was 3h25min. Jason's parents came to root him on for the start of the race and then we got to hang out until it was time to cheer him on for the finish! Jason's sister, Laura and her husband Kevin and sweet Lucy made it to Telluride just minutes after he finished. We all had lunch together in Telluride before everyone went their separate ways.


Jason at the start of the race! Brr it was about 40F!

Home stretch. The course turned to pavement about 100 yards behind where he the picture was taken.

Post race. How is he smiling?!?!!



Symptoms: Acid Reflex is SO BAD!! I did just change medication so I hope that helps. I should add Apple Cider Vinegar into the mix. I've had some hip and back pain as well as foot pain after hiking - maybe things are stretching out?


Food aversions: ONIONS! So bizarre as onions and garlic are basically the base of any dish I cook. As long as they are really cooked  I can eat them.

Food Cravings: I have never really been a candy person - I like chocolate but this pregnancy has helped me to not discriminate on the type of sugar I am willing to ingest.


Fitness: Mostly just hiking - but fast. My feet and calves cramp when I hike. What the heck!?


Bump: More people at work have asked if I am pregnant this week! Yay! I look pregnant! Someone actually said I look normal but with a basketball belly. Aww. Yay.
Not the best picture because I had to set up the camera on a timer but Willie Nelson is making an appearance!


Medications:
7:30am: 10mg prednisone, 40mg Lovonox injection in the belly
9am: 1 Prenatal and 2 DHA
7:30pm: 40mg Lovonox injection in the belly

Baby Preparations:  Well I ordered a rug last week and it came in and although I LOVE the rug, I don't love it for the nursery so we returned it today. I have my eye on a few others. I think I want to go more neutral and then add color to the room with the bedding, curtains and toys! We did get the trundle for the bed as well as mattresses for both. This weekend Jason works, so I plan to go through all the hand-me-downs and wash and organize them. I really need to find a dresser to put them into. I have been keeping my eye on craigslist so hopefully we can find something inexpensive there. I feel like I have done some prep for labor and am getting the space together but I think I need to start reading a book on what to do once the baby is here...







No comments:

Post a Comment